We just loved the apartment + the panoramic views from every window + the terrace. I can’t believe what the hotels charge for the same view! Janus was a great host + we will definitely be back.
We stopped in St.Lucia for 3 days on our way to St.Lucia to do a liveaboard sailing cruise. We were hoping for a few days of R+R and that’s exactly what we got! I will admit that we were not ambitious in our exploring, but we did manage to get to Anse Chastenet & Anse Mamin on our first full day to the Sulphur springs + mineral spa/ diamond waterfall on or 2nd day. Like many who have stayed here, we preferred Anse Mamin.
We got there late in the day (around 2pm) + were able to rent two of the hotels lounge chairs under a palapa for $33 US. We were told they don’t usually rent them to non-guests but luckily 2 guests had just vacated them when we arrived, so they were happy to rent it to us. We stayed just before sunset & then headed back it was peaceful + wonderful!
The next day we headed into town around mid-afternoon + went to the Sulphur springs at 3pm hoping to miss the cruise ship crowds. The crowd was light + we loved the mud bath experience! Afterward, we had just enough time to hit diamond falls + the mineral baths. It was a short 5-mins walk to the falls + the walk to the botanical gardens along the way was lovely.
The public mineral baths were closed but they had our private bath room, so we decided to do that it was well worth $7 per person! so relaxing we got a couple of rim punches from the café + took them into the private hut with us. It was a great day to unwind!
We visited Ruby’s pizza twice during our stay + a little disappointed they didn’t have pizza either time but the food we did have was excellent + the service was fabulous. We just loved the apartment + the panoramic views from every window + the terrace. Well worth the price! I can’t believe what the hotels charge for the same view! Janus was a great host + we will definitely be back.
We are pale and just over 60 so just looking at the Pitons Suited us!! Breakfast each day on the balcony, evenings watching the sun set, drinking rum-bliss.
March 15th- 22nd Gt, Britain
Chris & Jinn
7 nights here at Sapphire!
Arrived after a stressful time in the UK, intending to relax! We are pale and just over 60 so just looking at the Pitons Suited us!! Breakfast each day on the balcony, evenings watching the sun set, drinking rum-bliss. Enjoyed moving around Soufriere in beautician. We walked to The Diamond Botanical Gardens- beautiful place and worth a soak in the in the mineral baths. Stopped at Rub’s on the way back to cool off with piton, water + ice cream. Ate there on one evening to, good food recommended.
Other eateries ... Fedo’s- Casual, Cheap
Petit Pick- Perfect at Sunset, Very good food
Orlando’s- more a tasting experience, excellent quality but sittings on the balcony with booming music next door clashing with Orlando’s music not the best (it was Friday)
Hummingbird- wonderful food (best we had!)
The beach at Hummingbird was the only one we went back to, beach bar their perfect cooling off. Great trip in car organized by Janus, up to Marigot Bay + Back to drive in volcano and Tet Paul with lots of shops + viewing on the way, plus rum tasting and bread and bananas.
Tips if you don’t hire a car:
- Use Janus for searching the Island taxis
- Small Supermarket (Shoppers Choice) on the corner just past the school is fine for basics + water if you’re walking back in the heat
- Without US $ we worked in EC $. Bank of St. Lucia, ATM charge less than others. E.g. First Caribbean
- Carry water + insect repellent always!
Special thanks to Janus, Fabian + Jamal(drivers) we’ve loved being here.
I would not hesitate to stay at Sapphire apartments, this place is great all the comfort you need for an awesome vacation!
June 4, 2018
Dave and Angela from New Mexico
(Stayed here for a week, 6/4-6/11)
Monday 6/4- We arrived yesterday and have yet to believe such beauty could exist right here in St. Lucia. The quaint, simple and natural aspects that surround us here beckon one's soul to explore and learn. Peace, tranquility and love in our hearts upon awakening and stepping out the door to a view of the Majestic mountains, overlooking the almighty sea below. We had a lovely breakfast here at the villa. We both ventured out to conquer the road to Anse Chastanet, where we spent half of the day at Anse Mamin and later at Anse Chatanet. Plantains and some plantain chips coupled with some coca cola drinks made for a delightful afternoon. Snorkeling was excellent, we also bought coconuts from a man named Denver on the beach. He apparently kayaks all the way from Canaries to sell his goods. Later that day we ate at Petit Peak, the food was delicious there and the view of the lovely sea and the sound of calm wakes coming in.
Tuesday 6/5 – Today we had breakfast at the villa, then were picked up at the dock by captain Janique. Had fun watching him start his engine manually with a rope hmmm…. It was quite the thrill. He took us by boat to the Coastaway tour, by paul. We spent the entire day at Zion farm where we cooked on a coal pot lunch of fish/ veggies and had rum punch and fresh pineapple juice. After lunch we took a nature walk and got some mineral water from the springs. Overall amazing day and company. Stopped at Zaka’s Café on the way back and had iced coffee brew got some coffee for the villa as well. Not sure what we will do this evening. Stay tuned.
Wednesday 6/6 – Slept in. Had wonderful coffee from Zaka’s. Our lovely guide Jahrod Alcindor can be found at ecostluciatours- he took us to Marigot Bay then Ti- Kaye resort where we spent the rest of our day snorkeling. We got to taste rum at the great view in Marigot Bay. Excellent sources of rum, all are homemade. Lots of Marine life today. On our way back, we stopped at several sites and took some great photos. We loved the pizza we bought so much last night and bought a few slices and called it a day. Also, we stopped at a bakery called Plas Cassav where we tried Cassava bread, we will have some for breakfast tomorrow before we climb Gros Piton. Jahrod will go with us. GOODNIGHT.
Thursday 6/7 – We conquered Gros Piton today! Took us 5 hours!! Yes, it’s hard, yes, its steep and yes, it is worth it. You will sweat a lot. After our climb we went to Tet Paul and had a creole lunch. It was very good. We also had soursop ice cream and juice, very good! Next, we soaked at the Sulphur springs, very helpful for our sore muscles after that climb. We ended our day with a quick dip at Margratoute beach or Freedom Bay as the locals call it very secluded beach. We then headed back to the villa and got ready for dinner. We went to Boucan by Hotel Chocolat- so nice! Tasty meals and chocolate desserts. Great photo opportunity with the piton. Nice Jazz music as well. We are exhausted! 10:00pm ~ bed time.
Friday 6/8 – Today we took a drive to Dennery to go zip lining at Tree Top Adventures Park, very worth it. There are 12 zip lines there and it is in the heart of the rainforest. Then we went to Pigeon Island and hiked to the top. Had lunch and spent some time at the beach. Then we drove back down the island and stopped at Morne Fortune for pictures. Then we went to Massy stores to get some groceries and were content with our snacks and ready to relax! Friday nights are party nights in the town. We were way to tired!! Only 2 more days left!!
Note: We highly recommend Jahrod from Ecostlucia tours. Tomorrow we will visit sapphire falls and jungle spa also owned by Jahrod, a neat waterfall and mud bath.
Saturday 6/8 – Our vacation is coming to an end … Today we went over to Sapphire Falls and Jungle Spa for a nice tour, lunch and mud bath. Contact Jahrod (same guy) for more info. Then we went to Margratoute beach again to snorkel. We ended our day with a nice dinner at Dasheen/ Ladera. Tomorrow we have another hike planned and some more beach time. We leave on Monday.
Sunday 6/10 – Our last day- We went on another amazing hike! This time it was a rainforest called En Bas Saut , hiked to an amazing waterfall saw birds and many plants. Had lunch in town at Belle View, had a roti. Spent the rest of the day at Anse Mamin. Now packing and sad… We will definitely be back to St. Lucia!
I would not hesitate to stay at Sapphire apartments, this place is great all the comfort you need for an awesome vacation! Thank you, Janus,
1. Pier 28 – Pretty good and pretty cheap, can eat at the bar by the beach.
2. Sugar Beach – good but very small portions and very expensive for what you get. NOT WORTH IT
3. Ruby’s- Very good and pretty cheap. Pizza very good and close by. Go there
4. Fedo’s – Close by, very cheap and pretty decent food. Was good to try for lunch one day.
5. Orlando’s – Decent food but overpriced. There were ants walking around making it hard to eat. Not really worth it, close by. Didn’t feel full.
6. Mango Tree- good food, a little on the expensive side
7. Martha’s Table – Only open for lunch, very good and good prices.
8. Brunch at Anse Chastenet – They’ve got buffet $50 USD. Do it. Desserts are also worth it.
9. Hummingbird- Close by. Decent prices and very good as well. Would choose this over Orlando’s.
10. Chef Robby’s- Very good price. BEST CHICKEN WINGS!!!
1. Hummingbird – Right down the street, good to go lay out on mornings. Not the best beach but close and convenient.
2. Sugar Beach- We payed $10 USD to park and walked 15 mins downhill to the beach. They want $50 USD a person to drive there but can use for food and drinks. We didn’t enjoy the food it wasn’t worth it. We tipped the shuttle guys to bring us back up. Shuttle down and up for maybe $30 USD total. Bring food and water very pretty beach.
3. Anse Chastenet -Bring towel. Great buffet, good snorkeling, good beach but prefer sugar beach
TOM & MERRY
We only got to spend 2 days/nights here but we loved it. We stayed in Castries for about a week before coming here and did a boat tour and went to the Botanical Gardens, Diamond Waterfall and the Mud Baths. You have to do the mud baths they are so much fun! We wouldn’t recommend going down to the Castries market as it seemed a bit sketchy and so busy.
We got here yesterday around 1pm and Janus came and gave us the low down and we added him on WhatsApp which was so helpful to contact him. Then we went down to the local beach and supermarket. And had drinks on the porch for the sunset
Today we got one of Janus drivers to take us to Anse Chastenet (MUST GO TO) such a nice calm beach and beautiful views at Jade Mountain. Also, good Pina coladas, snorkeling is good too. We went for dinner at Petit Peak and it was good food but took a really long time!
Overall, we loved staying here so, so much. Janus made us feel so secure and welcome. Used his drivers as they are so nice too and will save you money!
Thank you so much Janus!!! We will be back!
Megan & Matt
Later that night on our way home, we wound up with the car in the ditch on the side of the road. We were pretty shocked and scared by the whole incident!!!....
Wow we visited Anse Chastanet & Anse Mamin on our first day. The beaches were gorgeous, and the water was crystal clear. We left the beaches to have dinner down by the waterfront at the Belle View restaurant which had local delicious dishes.
We left the restaurant to watch the Eagles win the Super Bowl. Later that night on our way home, we wound up with the car in the ditch on the side of the road. We were pretty shocked and scared by the whole incident, but neighbors came out to help us, as did Janus and Fabien.
Through all of the visits, the one consistent thing has been the amazing people of St.Lucia, especially Janus. Enjoy your trip and drive safe!
Welcome to Soufriere! You’re staying in a wonderful little village with lots to do. Here are some of our tips:
1. Get out and meet the locals. They are some of the friendliest people we’ve ever met. We were even invited to dinner cooked by one of the locals in his own home – best meal we’ve had yet! With that being said, be careful when wandering about and people stop you. While everyone is friendly and means well, even if you ask them for directions they’ll likely want money for helping you. This is how many people make a living here, so just beware.
2. Sugar Beach – This place is beautiful! However, do not bother with the restaurant there. It is way over pricey for the quality of the food served. There is a local smoothie/fruit stand here – eat there instead.
3. Latille waterfall and Gardens – this place is owned by a nice older gentleman who will give you a tour of his property which includes a small waterfall and garden. There is even a pond with fish that will eat the dead skin off your feet. After the tour you have to get a cup of tea that the owner will make from plants that grow right in his garden. It is so good!
4. Anse Cochon Beach at Ti-Kaye Resort has been our favorite by far. It’s a pretty private/small beach and has great snorkeling due to the shallow water there. As mentioned in previous entries, DO NOT bother with going up north to Castries. It is terribly busy and isn’t half as beautiful as it is here in Soufriere. Do, however take a time and drive up around Anse La Raye and back- It’s a beautiful drive.
5. If you want a fancy dinner to watch sunset, we recommend Dasheene at Ladera. Beautiful view of Pitons @ Sunset and great food (but a little expensive) We went at about 5:30pm. On Thursday night and they were having some sort of cocktail party for the resort guests, but they were nice and let us enjoy free drinks and appetizers as well
Kyle & Camille Arbegast – Des Mones, IA
We had excellent vacation in St. Lucia with beautiful beaches and breat- taking mountains. We enjoyed sunset on the sea from Sapphire Apt. balcony. Excellent apt. with everything you need in the kitchen. Very comfortable A.C and T.V and internet work perfect.
Janus is a perfect host, he and his team made us feel at home.
Vali & Marfa
Enjoyed our stay in St. Lucia. Very Beautiful view from this condo. Janus arranged for drivers on several occasions and they were the best. We visited the Volcano and Mineral springs and Diamond Falls Botanical Gardens. We also took a tour to Tet Paul Scenic Trail.
The Views were magnificent, and our guide was great. Today we check out, but have plans to visit Sugar Beach before we fly home.
Elaine & Rich- Florida Michigan
We spent our entire week long trip here and enjoyed every minute of it…but I mean it would be pretty hard not to!!
P.S – you can make it anywhere in a 2wd car
Anyways our first and main point was to get to the beach and watch the sun set! So we drove to Sugar Beach and the view was stunning!!! We ended up having dinner there but it was super-over priced and the food was OK!
We werem’t able to go to JADE ☹ were not accepting reservations
Don't waste your time up north
Thanks again Janus and staff for this Beautiful place and all your help
Kelly & Peter Long Island NY
Tips, and Insights about the best things to do, places to go, people/things to avoid